Author Notes: Feather light, crunchy and slightly sweet, meringues are great on their own or can be dressed up with fruit and curd. —garlic and zest
teaspoon cream of tartar
cup powdered sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Line two sheet pans with parchment paper or use a brown paper grocery bag. Set aside.
- Add the egg whites to a mixing bowl. Using electric beaters, beat the egg whites until frothy and foamy. Sprinkle in the cream of tartar and beat on high speed for 1 minute. Sprinkle on the powdered sugar and beat on high for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes, until soft and glossy. Sprinkle on the granulated sugar and beat on high until stiff peaks form, another 2 or so minutes.
- Drop spoonfuls of meringue onto the parchment paper or brown paper bag, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 2 hours until meringues have dried out and set. Remove from oven and cool.
- Store in an airtight container.