Author Notes: Who doesn't love potatoes?This potato roast is made in South Indian style by deep frying the cooked potatoes and coated with a sauce .This sauce is made with shallots and sambar powder. Sambar powder is a important flavorful spice powder in South Indian kitchen.
teaspoon Sambar Powder(available in all Indian stores)
teaspoon Chili powder
teaspoon fennel powder
to deep fry
- In a pot boil potatoes until tender.Peel the skin off and cut it into cubes.
- Heat oil for deep frying and cook until golden crisp
- Grind the shallots,sambar powder,chili powder,fennel powder,salt into a fine paste.(sprinkle little water if necessary)
- In a pan heat oil(fapprox 3teaspoon) and add the ground paste to it .Cook until oil oozes out.
- Add little water(approx 4-5 tbsp) and let it boil.
- Put the fried potatoes to it and cook for another 3 minutes .Toss the potatoes so that the sauce coats it well.
- Finally garnish with cilantro.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0