If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cake has two distinctive features. On the one hand the plums are poached in wine syrup (I chose a rosé tardío), slightly sweet, which gave the fruit a great texture and depth of flavour. On the other hand, the cake is so easy to make, the two bowl kind, dry ingredients on one side and wet on the other, mix and... voilá! —bonheurcuisine
- 1 cup finely ground almonds
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 11/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted and at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups *wine poached plums
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- For the *wine poached plums: In a small saucepan bring 1 cup of red or rosé wine to a boil with 2 tbsp of brown sugar and allow to reduce until it starts getting syrupy. Add a drop of vanilla extract and 3 to 4 plums (I used black) pitted and cut into wedges and stir. Allow to cook until soft but firm. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F. Grease and line the bottom of a round 9" inch baking tin. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: ground almonds, plain flour, baking powder, salt and sugar
- In another bowl lightly mix with the help of an electric hand mixer the eggs, plain yoghurt, almond extract and vanilla extract until well combined. Stir in the melted unsalted butter
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ones and mix until you obtain a smooth batter. Pour into the prepared mold. Garnish the top with the wine poached plums, without the syrup, and sprinkle the tbsp sugar on top
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a skewer in the center comes out dry. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely
- As a serving option top with *mascarpone cream and a drizzle of *reduced syrup *Mascarpone cream: whip 1/2 cup cream and add to 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese. Add 1 tbsp icing sugar and mix. Refrigerate *Reduced syrup: Place the remaining syrup from the plums in a small saucepan (there will be quite an amount because the fruit drains a lot of its juice as it rests on the counter) and simmer until thick. Allow to cool