If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: How can President Obama not like beets? He’s obviously not tasted this tasty recipe that satisfies every sense. The earthy sweetness of the beets, the caramelized onions and fresh herbs, the olive oil, the salt and freshly ground pepper – and it’s the easiest dish to prepare. It’s excellent for entertaining because everything gets cooked together and the house is filled with the delicious aromas of roasting veggies and herbs. I like to use a mix of golden beets and regular purple beets for the vivid contrasting colors. The juice from the purple beets is a vivid hot pink that colors the edges of the onions. —LucyLean
small golden beets
small purple beets
small onions cut into 1/8ths
tablespoons good olive oil
tablespoon chopped mixed fresh herbs - rosemary, thyme and sage
salt and freshly ground pepper
piece Parmigiano Reggiano
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Remove the stalks/leaves from the beets, rinse, dry peel and cut in half.
- Place beets and onions in a roasting dish and add the olive oil and fresh herbs. Mix gently with your hands to ensure they are well coated in the oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook in preheated oven on the high rack for approximately 40 minutes – or until the beets are soft and cooked through and the onions just turning golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the warm beets and arrange on a plate with some of the onion.
- Grate Parmigiano Reggiano over the top and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beets