Potatoes cooked with onion and poppy seeds…one of the simplest and tastiest potato dishes that I have ever eaten…and so says this confirmed potato hater!!
Potatoes cooked with onion and poppy seeds…one of the simplest and tastiest potato dishes that I have ever eaten…and so says this confirmed potato hater!!—MM's Kitchen Bites
Serves: 2 as side dish
Green Chilies ( or use 1 dried red chili)
Medium Size Onion, finely sliced (optional, I like to add)
tablespoons Posto/Poppy Seeds
teaspoon Kashmiri Red chili powder/ Paprika (used for colour, optional, I like to add)
teaspoon Turmeric powder, ½ tsp (optional, I skip)
- Peel the potatoes and cut them lengthwise like French fries (or even thinner). Soak them in cold water for about 10-15 minutes. Drain and keep aside. (If using turmeric, sprinkle turmeric and salt on the potatoes and keep them aside for 5-10 minutes, drain well)
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the chilies, followed by the onions. Fry the onions on low heat till they start to caramelize.
- Add the potatoes, poppy seeds, salt and mix well. Toss around and fry on high heat for a couple of minutes.
- Lower the heat, sprinkle the Kashmiri red chili powder (if using) and mix well
- Now cover and cook till the potatoes are almost cooked.
- Uncover and finish cooking on medium high heat till potatoes go light brown and crisp.
- Serve hot with dal and rice/rotis.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0