If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Potatoes cooked with onion and poppy seeds…one of the simplest and tastiest potato dishes that I have ever eaten…and so says this confirmed potato hater!! —MM's Kitchen Bites
Serves: 2 as side dish
Green Chilies ( or use 1 dried red chili)
Medium Size Onion, finely sliced (optional, I like to add)
tablespoons Posto/Poppy Seeds
teaspoon Kashmiri Red chili powder/ Paprika (used for colour, optional, I like to add)
teaspoon Turmeric powder, ½ tsp (optional, I skip)
- Peel the potatoes and cut them lengthwise like French fries (or even thinner). Soak them in cold water for about 10-15 minutes. Drain and keep aside. (If using turmeric, sprinkle turmeric and salt on the potatoes and keep them aside for 5-10 minutes, drain well)
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the chilies, followed by the onions. Fry the onions on low heat till they start to caramelize.
- Add the potatoes, poppy seeds, salt and mix well. Toss around and fry on high heat for a couple of minutes.
- Lower the heat, sprinkle the Kashmiri red chili powder (if using) and mix well
- Now cover and cook till the potatoes are almost cooked.
- Uncover and finish cooking on medium high heat till potatoes go light brown and crisp.
- Serve hot with dal and rice/rotis.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0