Author Notes: This makes a great dinner with a green salad or even a starter to a meal. It could be cut up into smaller slices and served at a nice informal gathering. I wanted to highlight fresh picked tomatoes from the garden —Andrew
Serves: 2 as a meal
sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
ripe yellow tomatoes 'fist size"
3/4 - 1
pounds fresh mozzarella
extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Place dough on a parchment lines sheet pan, cut a slight slit around edge about 1/2" in to create border
- Slice the mozzarella roughly 1/4" slices, you want enough to cover the puff pastry within the cut boundary you made
- Wash tomatoes and dry, cut enough slices ( 1/4" thick min.) to cover the mozzarella
- Drizzle the tomatoes with the Extra virgin olive oil to liking, and sprinkle tomatoes with a little kosher salt.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the Parmesan cheese block over the tart just to cover the tomatoes.
- Place sheet pan with tart in oven, bake until edges are puffed and dark golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbling. Should be around 15 minutes. Chiffonade the basil leaves while tart in oven.
- Remove tart from oven and sprinkle basil over tart. Can be cut into desired serving sizes. Best with a pizza cutter. For 2 people, cut half, then each half into 2 or 3 slices. For a larger gathering, can be cut into bite size pieces.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tomato Recipe