If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This delicious slow cooked oriental dish can be prepared well in advance for a Valentine’s Day to be remembered. Tender chunks of pork belly that are braised until tender will fall apart in the mouth, whilst the sugar snap peas, white radish and spring onion give an irresistible bite for a fabulous feast that will impress that special someone. —Jade
- 1000 grams pork belly, boneless, with the skin on
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 30 grams ginger, sliced
- 1 Leek
- 1 liter Water
- 400 grams white radish, peeled and cut into 3cm thick round slices
- 5cm x 5cm kombu (edible kelp)
- 150 milliliters Soy Sauce
- 50ml milliliters shaoxing rice wine
- 50 milliliters Mirin
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Yutaka Organic Tamari Soy Sauce
- 800 milliliters Water
- Cut the pork belly into 6cm width x 18cm length (to suit your cooker).
- Heat a large frying pan on high heat, add oil and sear the pork skin side down for few minutes on both sides. Remove from the pan and wipe off any excess oil on the surface of pork.
- Add 1 litre of water mixed with the ginger and leek into a large saucepan, then add the pork and place the lid on. Bring the pork to the boil and then turn the heat to low and simmer for 1.5 hours. If you are using a pressure cooker instead, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and drain the liquid from the pork. Let the pork cool for 10 minutes and then cut it into large cubes.
- Place the daikon, kombu, and a mixture of the shaoxing rice wine, mirin, soy sauce, brown sugar, tamari, and water to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the pork to the saucepan, place the lid on, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 2 hours. If using a pressure cooker, simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve the pork in the sauce with blanched sugar snap peas, spring onions and mustard if you like it hot!