If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's a Trinidadian dish, that my mom passed on to me. I make it during the winter months and all my friends and neighbors love it. —Amber Rayo
Serves 8 or 10
potatoes, carrots, vegetable oil, onions, chopped celeery, fresh thyme, yellow split peas, 6 ears of corn, 1 congo pepper, cilantro, chive, pimento peppers, vegetable stock, coconut milk
- 1lbs potatoes-peeled and quarted
- 2 onions -chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic-minced
- 1/3 cup fresh thyme -chopped
- 1 congo pepper
- 6 ears or corn- cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cilantro- chopped
- 1/3 cup green onions
- 2 pimento pepers
- 8 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 set of dumplings
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- heat oil in big soup pot Add garlic and saute Add potatoes, carrots, chive, celery, thyme, pimentoes, corn cook for 5 minutes Add split peas and 8 cups of stock Season and salt , add fresh ground black pepper and bring to boil Place hot congo pepper whole on top of pot, do not allow to burst for about 10 minutes Cover and simmr until 1 hr until peas cook Then remove all pieces of corn and puree rest of soup. Add soup back to pot with corn and then make dumplings adhead 3 hrs to rise Add dumplings to soup and bring to simmer for 15 minutes again. Add fresh cilantro to decorate soup.
- Dumplings Recipe
flour, baking powder, salt and milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Combine the flour with baking powder in a bowl and salt. Add milk in and make a dough, knead into a ball. Let rise at least 2-3 hrs Then roll out and cut desired dumplings out for soup recipe. Drop dumplings into for 15 minutes and then turn off pot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0