If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After receiving several recommendations for beer can chicken, I decided to go with this. I had two bottles of Guinness in the fridge, so I used an empty soda can rather than just using a can of beer. I absolutely love Guinness, so I thought it was the perfect companion for chicken. —Holly
Serves 6 portions
- 1 Chicken, whole
- 1 Soda can, empty
- 2 Bottles of Guinness beer
- 4 Potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 4 Granny Smith apples, sliced thickly
- 2 Yellow onions, cut into large chunks
- 1 Green onion, diced
- Olive oil
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Line roasting pan with potatoes, apples, and onions. Drizzle olive oil over it all and season it.
- Fill the soda can halfway up with Guinness, then add seasonings, including the two sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- After preparing the bird, stand it upright on the can, and arrange the potatoes/apples around it to stabilize it a little, though the can does a good job of holding up the chicken on its own.
- Drizzle it all down with olive oil, and season the bird. After pouring the rest of the first bottle of Guinness in the roasting pan, the pan into the oven. Roast for at least an hour, depending on the size of your chicken.
- Check on the chicken halfway through the baking process, adding the second bottle of Guinness each time, pouring it on top of the chicken.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Roast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Roast Chicken