If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's a lovely comforting soup that will make you feel like it's a hug in a bowl during these cold and dark night. —Bea
For the SOUP
- 2-3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 2 onions,peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves,peeled and sliced
- 1 chilli pepper(medium hot),chopped
- 3 carrots(2 if you use carrot from home made stock),sliced
- 2 red peppers,chopped
- 5 celery sticks(3 if you use ccelery stick from home made stock),chopped
- 6 cups (1.5 litre)vegetable stock
- 1 3/4 cups (300g) raw kidney beans,soaked overnight and cooked – it gives 4 3/4-5 cups (700g) cooked beans
- 7/8 cup (200g) tomato puree
- sea salt and black pepper
For the STOCK
- 6 1/2 cups (1.6 litre) water
- 1/3 (200g) celeriac root (medium sized)
- 2 2 celery sticks
- 1 1 big carrot
- 1 1 big parsnip
- 1 1 big onion
- For the stock.1.Wash the vegetables for the stock,place all the ingredients(except onion) in a medium pan and cover with water.Cut the onion in half and brown it lightly over the open fire over the hob.Place it in the pan.Bring it all to boil and let it simmer for around 30-40 minutes until all vegetables are soft.Sieve it, putting the veg aside.(You can use carrot and celery stick in this recipe-if you wish you can use all vegetables from this stock really).
- In the meantime,heat oil in a large saucepan,add onion,garlic and chilli pepper and fry for few minutes until soft.
- Add raw carrots and celery and fry for 5 minutes.Now add peppers and cook for couple of minutes.
- Stir in vegetable stock and tomato puree.Season with salt and pepper.Bring to boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add beans(and chopped celery and carrot from home made stock)and cook for further 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Serve with fresh parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans