If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a slow cooked stew with a tomato base, sharp spices, and tender beef and lentils. A dollup of lemon infused Greek yogurt gives this stew some serious dimension and the fresh cilantro brings the flavors full circle because cilantro is a boss herb! This is perfect for the winter weather! —Nicole Mattucci
Beef and Lentil Stew
- 1 pound Boneless Beef Chuck Cubed
- 2 Onions
- 2 tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 4 ounces Diced Green Chilies
- 28 ounces Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 32 ounces Beef Broth
- 2 cups Large Whole Lentils
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Tumeric Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Curry
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1 cup Fresh Cilantro
- Chop onions and set aside.
- Combine all spices and bay leaf in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add beef cubes. Remove after browning to a large stock pot and set aside.
- Add onions and minced garlic to remaining oil until onions begin to soften. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Add mixed spices to onions and mix well. Let simmer on medium low for 5-7 minutes.
- Add 3/4 of beef stock and 4 oz of green chilies to onions. Stir and bring to a boil.
- In stock pot with beef add crushed tomatoes. Pour onion mixture over beef and tomatoes and stir well.
- Bring pot to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for two hours.
- Add lentils and remaining beef broth to stew. Continue to simmer for two hours stirring occassionally.
- Ladle stew into serving bowl. Add two tablespoons of yogurt sauce to the center and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- 5 ounces Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Lemon
- Squeeze lemon juice into yogurt and mix well. Refrigerate until stew is ready.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans