If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I’ve been making this simple little carrot soup for a couple of years, using a recipe from Heidi at 101 Cookbooks as my starting point. I add red lentils to lend the soup some body and provide protein plus ginger to liven everything up a bit. Round things out with some good bread and maybe a salad for a healthy meal you can get on the table in under 30 minutes. I like to serve this soup with a big dollop of cumin-spiced yogurt and a scattering of fresh cilantro. If you’re in the anti-cilantro camp, some thinly sliced scallions or chives might be nice instead. —lindsay | please pass the peas
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced or grated ginger
- 1.5 pounds carrots, sliced into rounds about 1/2" thick
- 2/3 cup red lentils
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water (I like a mix of about half and half)
- juice from 1 small lemon
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt (preferably Greek, nonfat is fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- Warm the olive oil in a dutch oven or heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sautéing until the onion softens and begins to turn translucent, about five minutes.
- Add the minced ginger and sauté, stirring frequently, for about a minute more.
- Add the sliced carrots, the lentils and the stock/water. Bring everything to a boil then lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until the carrots are soft and the lentils are completely cooked. Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup, then stir in the lemon juice and add salt, to taste.
- n a small bowl, stir together the cumin and yogurt. Roughly chop the cilantro and set aside. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with a generous spoonful of the spiced yogurt and a pinch of fresh cilantro.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans