If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is a fusion of some of my favorite foods. I have long been a big fan of French de Puy lentils, also known as “poor man’s caviar.” These earthy morsels hold their shape and don’t get blown out when cooked, like most lentils. While a bit of an unusual combination, De Puy lentils make a good foundation to carry traditional Middle Eastern tabbouleh ingredients: tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, mint, lemon, feta cheese and a great olive oil. I switch it up a bit by adding a splash of pomegranate molasses and pomegranate seeds just because pomegranates are in season, and they add a fresh pop of flavor to the earthy lentils. —Kim at Something New For Dinner
- 1 cup de Puy lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molaasses
- 1 tablespoon Jerez Spanish sherry vinegar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1 handful mint, finely chopped
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Sort lentils to remove any stones or debris and rinse. Put lentils, water, bay leaf and a sprig of thyme in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes until al dente. Watch lentils to make sure they do not dry out. Add a bit more water if needed. The goal is when the lentils are done, most of the liquid should be absorbed. Season to taste with about 1/3 teaspoon of salt.
- In a small bowl mix pomegranate molasses, vinegar, lemon juice and lemon zest together. Whisk in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Drain any residual liquid from the lentils and place in a large bowl. Add tomatoes, pomegranate seeds, cucumbers, mint, parsley and feta cheese. Toss with dressing. Serve at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans