If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I put this together last weekend and brought it to work for lunch all week. No regrets. —SteveC
pound dried black beans
medium onion, diced
medium tomatoes, diced
garlic cloves, minced
ounces whole wheat orechiette pasta
packet frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrots (12 oz)
- Separately cook a dry pound of black beans in 8c unsalted water, using your preferred method.
- When the beans are about 30 minutes from done, dice/mince and sautee the onion, tomatoes, and garlic in extra light olive oil.
- In a microwave or steamer, thaw/heat the frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. If you prefer to substitute fresh veggies, adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Once the beans are done, add all veggies to the pot. Keep the bean broth!
- Add the dry pasta and two additional cups of water (or about half what is called for when cooking the pasta alone).
- Add salt/pepper/spice to your liking, and simmer 10-15 minutes until pasta is cooked. Ladle into bowls, or pour into a shallow container to cool for 30 min before refrigerating/freezing for later.