If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cake isn't too sweet, so you can serve it with whipped cream or coconut cream, sweetened with more maple syrup and cinnamon. —anka
Food52 Review: This cake is made mostly from red lentils (!), and you wouldn't know it unless you were told. If you are a wheat-free person, this is a surprisingly good—and healthy—cake. No refined sugar, just some maple syrup and the dried fruit to sweeten it. I really liked it as a dessert with the whipped cream, but it was also nice on its own as a breakfast bread. —CK1
Makes one 13-by-9-inch pan
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, soaked overnight
- 2 cups cashew milk, or any milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup brown rice flour plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped prunes
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or coconut cream, cold
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place all ingredients up to the dried fruit, with the exception of 1 tablespoon brown rice flour, into a high-speed blender. Process until smooth.
- Line the bottom of a 13- by 9-inch pan pan (13 x 9) with parchment paper.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- In a small bowl, toss the dried fruit with the remaining 1 tablespoon rice flour. Top the batter with the mix.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into squares.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream, cinnamon, and maple syrup until softly whipped. Serve alongside the cake.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans