Author Notes: This intensely chocolaty cake is filled with all natural ingredients. A perfect finish to a great meal, special celebration, and everything in-between
~ Adapted from The Green Kitchen Travels Cookbook by David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl
cups Hazelnut Meal/Flour
cups fresh soft medjool-like dates, pitted and rough chopped
heavy pinch fine-grain sea salt
teaspoon vanilla paste (or vanilla extract)
teaspoon baking soda
tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
cup butter, at room temp
ounces dark chocolate (70% minimum), rough cut
finely grated zest and juice from 1 orange
organic powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350
- If using hazelnuts instead of hazelnut meal/flour .. Place nuts in a food processor and pulse until they've become a fine textured flour. Transfer the flour to the bowl of your stand mixer (If using hazelnut flour .. simply add to the bowl of the stand mixer)
- To the bowl of the food processor, add the dates, eggs, sea salt, unsweetened cocoa powder, and baking soda. Process until well combined Transfer the mix to the bowl of your stand mixer.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, add the butter and dark chocolate, stirring frequently until melted. Transfer the chocolate sauce to the bowl of your stand mixer.
- In the mixer should now be the nut flour, date mix, and chocolate sauce. Mix on medium speed until well combined (~ 1-2 minutes)
- Pour the batter to a greased 8-inch baking vessel and bake for 35-40minutes. Let the cake cool slightly before removing from the pan.
- Serve with berries, greek yogurt, or whipped coconut cream