If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple and healthier version of a traditional falafel with delicious and healing spices. —Sara Oberle
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup kale, massaged with kale
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (1/4 tsp if using canned chickpeas)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 2 cups spinach or kale (optional)
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine chickpeas, 1 cup massaged kale, onion, garlic, cumin, turmeric, salt, lemon juice, water, and red pepper flakes in a blender or food processor. Pulse the mixture until blended but still slightly chunky, about 10-15 seconds.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and add in baking powder and flour. Work in the flour and baking powder until combined and the mixture starts to stick together.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan or skillet on medium heat until hot and fragrant, about 3 minutes. When oil is hot, take the falafel mixture and start to form 3-4 inch size patties and place in pan. Cook patties for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy. Remove patties from pan and then place on plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat this step until all falafel mixture is used, adding a little olive oil if desired between each batch.
- While patties are cooking, whisk together hummus, 1 tbsp water, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp olive oil and set aside.
- When done cooking falafels, place desired amount over a bed of kale or spinach, drizzle with dressing and then top with pomegranate seeds and cilantro.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans