If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A super-flavorful sweet and spicy popcorn with rich cashews. A variation of the caramel corn from The Craft of Baking by Karen DeMasco. —Laurie
Makes 16 cups
- 1/2 cup popcorn
- 3 tablespoons coconut or canola oil
- 2 cups roasted and salted cashew, chopped a bit
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat large heavy pan along with coconut or canola oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add popcorn, cover and shake until it stops popping. Dump into a large bowl and add cashews. Set aside. Spray or butter two rimmed baking sheets. Spray a pair of rubber spatulas and set those aside as well. You want everything ready so you can work quickly once the caramel is ready. Heat butter, water and sugar in heavy pan over medium-high heat until boiling, stirring frequently. Boil approximately 5 minutes, untouched. Remove from heat and add extract, salt, spices and baking soda, and stir vigorously. It will puff up into a froth. Pour over popcorn and cashews in bowl and toss quickly with prepared spatulas to thoroughly coat. Spread on prepared sheet pans. Let cool then break into chunks. Store in airtight container.