Author Notes: This biscotti is a breakfast cookie I can get behind! Made with almond flour, the biscotti has a perfect crumble and healthy proteins and fats to keep you full throughout your morning. —Jessie May Snyder
Makes: 8 biscotti
cup raw macadamia nuts
cup dried coconut (shredded or ribbons)
cups almond flour
teaspoon baking powder
cup maple syrup
tablespoons coconut oil, in solid form
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Roughly chop the macadamia nuts into small pieces to avoid large chunks breaking up the biscotti when you go to slice it later. If using coconut ribbons like I did, roughly chop those as well. (If using shredded coconut, their size is fine and you can add them as-is).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking powder, and salt) along with the chopped macadamias and coconut. Mix well with a fork, breaking up any clumps in the almond flour.
- Add the maple syrup and solid coconut oil. (If your kitchen is warm and your coconut oil is a liquid, measure 2 tablespoons of the liquid into a small bowl and place it into the freezer until it solidifies, then proceed.) Using a fork, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until fully incorporated. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and shape it into a 4- by 10-inch rectangle that's 1 inch thick. Pat well to make sure there are no cracks.
- Place in the oven and bake for 18 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 325º F, and let the biscotti cool fully (about 20 minutes).
- Using your sharpest serrated knife, carefully cut the biscotti width-wise into roughly eight 1-inch slices and flip them onto their sides. Take it slow to avoid turning your beautiful, fragile biscotti into a crumbly mess. Return them to the oven and bake at 325º F for an additional 10 minutes, until they're slightly crispier. Remove them from the oven and let them cool fully and harden before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!