Author Notes: We eat this noodle bowl at our house almost once a week. The kale-coconut combination is inspired by recipe from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day, which I've been tweaking for the last few years until I settled on my ultimate version. The kale and coconut roast until crispy and makes a great pairing with the soft noodles and creamy avocado. It's versatile, quick to make, and relatively healthy. —Kitchen Sink Diaries
ounces soba noodles
bunches kale, de-stemmed and chopped
cups unsweetened coconut flakes (sometimes called chips)
jalapeño pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced
ripe avocado, thinly sliced
cup olive oil
tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
teaspoons sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 415F.
- Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Toss the kale, coconut, jalapeño, and 2/3 of the soy sauce mixture together and divide between two large baking sheets, spreading the kale into a single layer on the sheets. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, turning once or twice with a spatula, until the kale is crispy and the coconut is browned.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the soba noodles according to package directions, usually about 4 minutes. Drain the noodles and immediately toss with the remaining soy sauce mixture.
- Divide the noodles into bowls and top with the kale and coconut mixture. Garnish with a few slices of avocado and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Noodles