If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Kal guksu in Korean translates to knife (kal) noodle soup (guk su). The noodles are easily made from scratch and served with a umami filled broth. —Miss Hangrypants
- 2 cups all purpose flour, and more for dusting
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 5 cups water
- 2 inch square konbu/kelp
- 10 dried anchovies
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 onion
- 1 medium potato
- 1/2 large carrot
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon korean chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- Combine noodle ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. Knead by hand until it forms a rough ball (about 4 mins). Add more water if necessary but knead thoroughly first. Seran wrap and let it rest on the counter for at least 10 mins
- Knead dough again for a couple of minutes and it should be smooth. Dust counter with flour and roll out into a rough circle 1/16inch thick. Spread some flour over the rolled out dough and make a inward fold from the end about 2 inch deep. fold that over until you reach the top (about 4-5rolls). This is like rolling sushi but folding.
- Cut this folded dough into noodles about 1/8 inch thick (like you would be slicing cinnamon rolls). Dust with flour and loosen gently with your fingers.
- For the zucchini and carrots, Slice into matchsticks. Thinly slice potato into rounds and the onion into half moons.
- In a large pot, boil water with kelp and anchovies. After 5 mins, take out the kelp. After 10 mins, take out the anchovies.
- Lower the heat medium-low. Add the potatoes and when it starts becoming transparent around the borders, add the noodles (shake off excess flour), carrots, onion and zucchini. Cook for about 3-5 mins and serve. (add a pinch of salt)
- The noodles is usually served with a sauce on the side to mix in. Sauce ingredients: 3 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp fish sauce, 1 stalk green onion chopped, 1/2 tsp Korean chili pepper, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp sesame oil, sesame seeds
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Noodles