If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've had to adjust to the mushroom haters in my house and with this secret ingredient I've been able to enjoy mushrooms without anyone in the house voicing any complaints. It's a simple stroganoff recipe with an added bonus, nice and hearty for cold winter nights.
*Though I've never found ground dried mushrooms I've ground my own by using a coffee grinder and pulsing until the dried mushrooms are ground to coffee grind consistency. —czechinthekitchen
- 2 pounds stewing beef
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- .5 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- .5 cups ground dried mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 liter beef stock (no salt or salt reduced)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
- 1 pinch salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch pepper (to taste)
- 1 splash oil (to coat the pot)
- Mix all dry ingredients, ground mushrooms, flour and seasoning in bowl and add beef, mixing to coat all the meat pieces and set aside.
- Place a splash of oil in a pot and put on stove on medium heat until hot.
- Once the pot is hot add the meat and cook, stirring occasionally until the meat is browned on all sides.
- Add beef broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture is brought to a boil reduce heat and simmer until the meat is fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Take off heat and stir in the sour cream, salt and pepper to taste and serve over noodles.
- Can be served over any noodles, though most recently I've served with Wild Rice noodles and the combination was wonderful.