If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fideua (fid-a-wah) is paella's cousin made with noodles instead of rice. This version features the best of fall and winter - winter squash, mushrooms, radicchio, onions, garlic and thyme. In fact the winter squash and mushrooms make this dish "High In" fiber, potassium, vitamins A & C, riboflavin and niacin. And yes, I did splurge on saffron! —Vegetarianized.com
- 1 pumpkin or winter squash, 2-3 lbs, cubed
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, quartered
- 10 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 head of garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 15.5 ounces can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6-8 small dried red peppers, or pinch of cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 pound whole wheat angel hair or vermicelli, broken into 2" pieces
- 1/2 head radicchio or 3-4 cups other winter greens, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the pumpkin, onion and mushrooms with 2 Tbsp EVOO, thyme and SnP, and spread in a single layer in 1-2 baking sheets. Cut the top from the head of garlic, lay on a sheet of foil, drizzle with 1 tsp of EVOO and wrap up tightly. Put on one of the baking sheets.
- Roast for 30 minutes, stirring the veggies occasionally. Remove everything from the oven (keeping oven on) and let cool.
- While veggies roast, warm the stock, wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, dried peppers and saffron in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Toss the pasta with the remaining Tbsp of EVOO and spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 5-10 minutes until it is deep brown, remove and let cool.
- Turn the heat of the stock to medium-high and add all the veggies along with the roasted garlic cloves. When the liquid comes to a boil, turn down to medium and add the toasted pasta. Cover and cook 5 minutes. In the last 2 minutes, add the radicchio. Stir until everything is combined. Adjust seasonings and then serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Noodles