If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is true fusion food. It satisfied the varied craving that the hubs and I had one night for mushrooms, bahn mi pickled veggies, and glazed tempeh between the us. The soba noodles brought everything cohesively together. This has become a go on chilly days when we just want to slurp some warm noodles but don't feel like soup ! —Diana
Quick pickled dua chua (can be made ahead) inspired by and scaled down from a restaurant recipe.
- 1/2 cup carrot cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup daikon cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon fine ground sea salt
- 1 tablespoon splenda plus 1 teaspoon
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (white vinegar can be substituted)
- 1/2 piece medium jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- Microwave water for approximately one minute. You want the water warm enough to dissolve the salt and sugar.
- In a large bowl, mix water, vinegar, sugar and salt till everything is dissolved and combined well. This is your pickling liquid.
- Place carrots ,daikon, and jalapeno if using in a clean jar (with a tight fitting lid). Completely cover carrot, daikon and jalapeno with pickling liquid.
- Let the dua chua marinate for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Make sure the liquid has completely cooled before sealing the jar and refrigerating. This can be made several days in advance.
For the noodle bowl
- 12 ounces tempeh sliced in half vertically, then slice each half into 5 pieces
- 1/2 piece lime (juice only)
- 1/4 cup Kikkoman Teriyaki & Glaze Baste
- 1 tablespoon room temperature water.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (divided)
- 2 cups cooked soba noodles
- 4 pieces scallions (chopped)
- 4 pieces thinly sliced,Crimini Mushrooms
- 1 splash kikkoman soy sauce
- 1 pinch toasted sesame seeds (optional garnish)
- Cut one lime in half, place one half of lime in microwave for 20 seconds on high. Squeeze the lime juice into a bowl. Add kikoman teriyaki to the bowl with 1 tablespoon water, and 1 dried thai chili. Marinate tempeh slices for 15 minutes.
- Cook soba noodles as per package directions. Drain, (reserve liquid) and drop into cold water. Remove back to a colander and let rest till ready to warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a large skillet on med high heat. Add tempeh slices to the skillet. Sear, flipping occasionally until desired browning/ texture is reached. Remove tempeh from skillet. Brush again with sauce mixture and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic, gently stir until it becomes fragrant. Add thinly sliced criminis and stir, add a splash of soy sauce and stir until mushrooms soften approximately 3-5 mins. Remove from heat.
- Heat reserved noodle cooking liquid. Drain, then toss with scallions. Portion half cup noodles per bowl, followed by 0.7 ounce crimini, 3 slices of tempeh, sprinkle sesame seeds, then dua chua and nori.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Noodles