If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The deep full flavor of honey shines in this combination of earthy spices, sweet onions, mild jalapenos and vinegar brine. Perfect for sandwiches, salad toppings, or even a martini. —Heide Braley
Makes 1 pint
- 3 yellow onions (3-4 inch)
- 2 jalapenos (seeded)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon Hungarian hot paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Slice onions and jalapenos very thinly (about 1/8 inch thick).
- Combine honey, vinegar, salt, mustard powder, ground coriander, paprika and turmeric in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add the sliced onions and peppers to the hot brine. Stir to combine and bring back to a boil. Turn off the heat and transfer into a non- metal container to cool. I like to use glass pint mason jars for pickling. Cool and refrigerate.
- Let the Honey Jalapeno Onions develop full flavor for at least 24 hours before serving.
- Serve with smoked meats and fish, cheese sandwiches, tacos or on top of a salad. Try a new spicy cocktail by placing a teaspoonful into a martini class and top with gin; stir gently and sip.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey