Author Notes: Homemade Naan bread is a great idea for a winter brunch:
you can use it as side dish, or (recipes coming) with gourmet dips!
Once the dough is done, baking is so fast and easy you can surprise your guests with express made naans! “Who wants more? It takes minutes!”
Plus, this is a #healthyeating version of it: whole wheat, kefir and nut milk! —Claudia | Gourmet Project
cups whole wheat flour (750 gr)
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
tablespoon brown sugar
cup hot tap water
grams brewer’s yeast (fresh yeast)
cup milk (I used once nut milk and once cow milk, they’re both ok)
cup kefir (or yogurt)
Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- Pour ½ cup of olive oil in a pot and place a rosemary sprig in it, warm it on low heat for the herbs to release their scent.
- Dissolve sugar in the warm water, crumble yeast with your hands and add it to the sugared water, mix with a wood spoon.
- Cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Mix together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl, add the sugared yeast water and stir with a wood spoon.
- When the mix gets drier use your hands to work the dough until you get a dough ball that collects all flour from the bowl sides, but still stays soft. Add flour if necessary.
- Spread some flour on the bottom of the bowl, place the dough ball over it and cover with the damp cloth or plastic wrap. Let sit for 1 hour (or overnight in the fridge – to tell you the truth I left some of it in the fridge for two days and it was perfect just the same!).
- Heat a cast iron skillet (or pan) over medium-high heat.
- Take a handful of dough and roll it into an oval shape (20 cm long and 12 cm large – 1 cm tall – very approximate measures!).
- Brush both sides of the naan with the rosemary oil.
- Place the naan on the skillet, cover and bake for 1 minute, until you see bubbles puffing. Turn on the other side and cook for 1-2 minute, covered as well. You will see dark spots appear: naan is ready!
- Sprinkle it with salt and rosemary and enjoy this wonderful fresh baked bread!