A Japanese savory pancake
A Japanese savory pancake—Hana
cup flour, sifted
pinch dashi (bonito fish) powder [optional]
cup nagaimo (Chinese yam), grated [optional]
cups cabbage, chopped
green onion, chopped
tablespoons beni shoga (pickled ginger) [optional]
tablespoons tenkasu (deep fried tempura batter) [optional]
slices of pork belly
tonkatsu sauce & mayonnaise
aonori (dried seaweed flakes) [optional]
katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes) [optional]
In This Recipe
- Mix the flour, eggs, water, dashi powder, and nagaimo.
- Add the cabbage, green onion, beni shoga, and tenkasu.
- Heat a large frying pan to medium and add oil.
- Pour half the batter into a circle shape.
- Place 3 slices of pork belly on top.
- Put on a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip, and cook the other side without a lid for 4 minutes.
- Flip again. Spread tonkatsu sauce and mayonnaise on top. Sprinkle aonori and katsuobushi liberally.