If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The inspiration for these crisps comes from popular Indian nut brittle, known as 'chikki'. I came up with this recipe three years back for a friend who is gluten intolerant and also diabetic. It uses the natural floral sweetness of honey and healthy nuts and seeds like almonds & sesame for a crispy treat. These are lightly sweet and nutty (of course!).
You could use peanuts too if you like. Best served with a cup of green or jasmine tea. —Tanvi
Makes 12-15 crisps
- 1/4 cup packed raw almonds
- 1/4 cup packed raw cashews
- 1/2 cup white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- pinches sea salt
- In a small sauce pan, lightly (dry) toast the almonds and cashews on low-medium heat. When you smell a nice aroma (about 2-3 minutes), set aside to cool completely.
- In the same saucepan, add the sesame seeds and lightly (dry) toast them. The sesame seeds splutter and crackle while toasting. Be careful. When you see that some of the seeds are turing light brown, put off the stove and set aside to cool completely.
- When the nuts have cooled, tip them in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse process 10-12 to make a crumbly powder.The flour u get should not be too coarse or too fine.It should feel gritty between fingers.
- Transfer the almond-cashew powder,toasted sesame seeds,salt and cardamom powder to a medium bowl.Combine well. Let sit.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F.Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- While the oven is heating,In the same sauce pan,let the butter (or coconut oil) melt on low heat.When it has just about melted, add the honey, whisk the two to an emulsion.Don’t cook.
- Bake in oven for 8 -10 minutes or until the crisp edges are starting to turn brown.You need to keep a watch on these coz they cook really fast.
- Once done,take out of the oven and if you want, use a cookie cutter while still warm to a desired shape.
- Let the crisps cool before stacking them in air tight container.
- Enjoy with tea or coffee.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey