If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The theory behind this ice cream recipe is simple. Take a creamy-fatty base (the coconut milk), add a super rich, decadent yogurt (vegan, if accessible), and sweeten with the natural sugars found in honey and dates. Whip these ingredients together for a super rich ice cream that never curdles, ices, or lets you down. Slightly acidic and delicately sweet, this ice cream is a perfect harmony. Kind to the belly, delicious for the soul. —Tasty Plan
Food52 Review: This simple ice cream (or frozen yogurt) recipe is delightlfuly easy to put together and is very unique. I used the Greek yogurt option, which meant the ice cream has a sour tang that balanced well with the other flavors. I would be leery of using the coconut yogurt option as I think it would taste extremely coconut-y, overpowering the dates and honey. If I were to make this again, I might add slightly more honey and would definitely top with toasted coconut. This is a perfect summer dessert, cold, refreshing, and not too sweet. —Foodio Centric
Makes: about 3 cups
14-ounce can best-quality light coconut milk
cup raw local honey
cup best-quality coconut yogurt (ideally Anita's Creamline Yogurt) or best-quality Greek yogurt
- Place coconut milk in a large pot over very low heat. Stir in honey. Whisk until honey dissolves into the milk.
- Remove from heat. Add coconut yogurt and whisk together.
- Add dates into the coconut mixture.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least two hours and up to one full day.
- Transfer mixture into blender. Blend at high speed for a minute or so, until dates have been fully incorporated into coconut mixture.
- Pour coconut mixture into pre-frozen ice cream machine, turn on at the lowest speed, and run according to manufacturer's directions.
- Thaw for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates