If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have such fond memories of eating Jalebis every Sunday as a kid. They are an Indian version of funnel cakes, a deep fried flour mixture which is then soaked in a saffron spiced sugar syrup and served warm or cold.
I made the jalebis (I will need to practice a little more to get a perfect shape) and then soaked them in a honey and saffron syrup and then sprinkled the jalebis with some sea salt. Absolutely delicious. —Shalini Singh @ Shalini's Kitchen
Makes 10 jalebis
For the Jalebis
- 1/2 teaspoon plain all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 3/4 to 1 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup water
- several strands of Saffron
- some sea salt
- Mix the flour, chickpea flour, yogurt and water in a bowl for a few minutes until it is of a smooth and ribbon like consistency (If you lift some of the mix on a spoon, it should fall back into the bowl like a ribbon - continuous without breaking up too much.
- Mix in the baking soda and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a pot, add the honey and water and bring to a boil. Then let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Put the flame off.
- Take a shallow frying pan and add oil to about 1 inch deep.
- Let it heat for 5 to 7 minutes. To test if the oil is ready, sprinkle a tiny drop of the batter into the oil. It should sizzle and float right up.
- Once the oil is ready, transfer the batter into a ziploc bag with a tiny hole or into a squeeze bottle.
- Squeeze the batter onto the oil into circular pretzel like shapes and fry the jalebi for about a minute or so on each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer them onto a paper towel.
- Then soak each jalebi in the warm honey syrup for a few seconds (on each side).
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with sea salt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey