If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Delicious, easy, one pot wonder with some optional additions of cheesy toast and fried egg. We eat this a lot at home. The vegis change depending what's in the garden. —sara diamond
- 1 whole chicken OR 3-6 chicken thighs
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into strips with a vegi peeler
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into strips with a vegi peeler
- 1 onion, quartered and cut into thin slices
- 4-5 celery stalked, peeled and cut into thin strips with a vegi peeler
- 4-7 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 T salt
- 2 T dried marjorum
- 15 grinds of black pepper - medium grind
- 1/2 to 3/4 bottle of cheap white wine
- 1 1/2 wine bottle of water
- spash of wine vinegar
- 6 thick slices of cheesy toast
- 6 eggs, fried in olive oil with soft yolks
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- harissa to taste
- put vegis, herbs and spices into a crock pot/slow cooker, and mix together with hands. Nestle the chicken into the vegis. Put the wine and water into the crock pot, small splash of wine or champagne vinegar. Set the counter top crock pot on LOW for 8-10 hours. Do this in the morning before you leave the house, and you will come home to yummy soup The chicken will fall off the bones (you May want to remove the bones before serving. One way to do this is to loosely wrap the chicken in cheese cloth before putting into the crock pot. When the chicken is cooked the cheese cloth package can be lifted out and the the chicken can be boned... but I never do this. I should because it is a PIA to remove the bones! )
- Before serving you need to do two things. (1) Toast some thick bread with sliced cheese of your choice on top. Cheap Parmesan is particularly good here. (2) Quick fry some eggs sunny-side up in a hot olive-oiled skillet till whites are cooked but tender, and yolks are still soft.
- To serve: Ladle and some soup into a bowl till about 1/3 full. Add a thick slice of toasted cheesy toast, add more soup, but leave some room for the topping. Top the whole thing with a fried egg. Dress the egg with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a small blop of harrisa paste.
- Serve with a big but simple green salad