If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Amaranth is a gluten-free ancient grain with a sweet, slightly nutty flavor. Rich in protein, this delectable porridge is the perfect way to start your morning. This recipe was written by the Healthline Editorial Team: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/roasted-sweet-potato-amaranth-porridge —Healthline
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup amaranth
- 2 cups almond milk or water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup toasted almond, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Wrap each sweet potato in a piece of aluminum foil and bake 45 minutes or until tender. Peel and mash one sweet potato. Peel and cube remaining sweet potato when fully cool. Refrigerate both.
- Place amaranth in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover by an inch. Refrigerate overnight.
- Stir together mashed sweet potato, almond milk, cinnamon, ginger, extracts and salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add drained and rinsed amaranth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring frequently, 15 minutes, adding additional almond milk or water as needed. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown cubed sweet potatoes in oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- To serve, top portions of amaranth mixture with cubed sweet potatoes, honey and chopped almonds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey