Makes: 1 hen
Cornish Hen, Defrosted
tablespoons Korean BBQ sauce
tablespoon Black Bean marinade
Chinese sausages (lap cheong, yun cheong)
In This Recipe
- If it is frozen, defrost the Cornish hen. Clean them by removing the gizzard pouch (if there is any) and butterflying the chicken, cutting through the chicken breast. Trim excess fat.
- Wash the hen briefly and dry as well as possible. Line a plate with paper towel, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour to further drain the water.
- To season the chicken, sprinkle sea salt liberally on both the inside and outside of the chicken. Combine the two sauces in a small bowl to create a marinade, and brush on the chicken (inside and outside). Cover the chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours.
- To prepare the “stuffing” – steam the Chinese sausages for 40 minutes and skim the fat (they will produce a lot of oil). Chop mushrooms. Chop the sausages after steaming.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 1.5 hours before baking.
- To prepare the chicken for baking, line a baking tray with tinfoil. Layer the sausages & mushrooms on the tinfoil and place butterflied chicken on top. Wrap the chicken wings in tinfoil or else they will start to burn while the rest of the chicken is still uncooked.
- Bake the chicken for 325F for 15 minutes in a convection oven and then 375F for 15-20 minutes. Make sure the chicken is fully cooked before wrapping the chicken in its tinfoil lining for 10 minutes to absorb its juices.