Author Notes: This is a necessity-is-the-mother-of kind of recipe -- or maybe the mother-in-law kind. I had a large avocado and a vegan son-in-law with a desperate longing for sweets on my hands. What was a mother-in-law to do? Make "ice cream," of course. I had no idea what I was doing, really -- hence the invention business. It turned out so well, however, that it's a regular in the rotation -- richly chocolate-y and creamy. (Note: many vegans don't eat honey. My son-in-law does. I think agave syrup might work for those who differ-- though I haven't tried it.) —louisez
Serves: 1 very hungry son-in-law or 4 other kind of humans
pounds , approximately, avocado or avocados
can coconut milk, solid part only (it's easiest to separate if you chill the can)
cup dark cocoa or other unsweetened cocoa powder
- Peel avocado and remove pit. Combine with other ingredients in food processor and process till completely smooth. Turn into a container and freeze.
- To serve once frozen, leave out on counter or in fridge till scoopable -- or, like my clever son-in-law, microwave 15-30 seconds, or till scoopable. He claims that if he overdoes it, he ends up with a still yummy pudding.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer