Makes: 2 jars (the bonne maman jam type, so about 400-500g/1⅔-2 cups)
grams red apples (about 3-4)
tablespoons brown sugar (you can also use maple syrup or sugar, or honey)
teaspoons vanilla powder
grams 2 tbsp butter (for a vegan version, I believe you could use margarine or coconut oil? Let me know)
- Peel, core and dice the apples. Keep the chopped pieces in cold lemony water so they don’t go brown.
- Empty the water and tip the apples into a large saucepan with the sugar.
- Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring regularly, until the apples are tender. Add 2-3 tablespoons water if you need to.
- Towards the end, add the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Tip into a blender and purée. Note: I tried using an immersion blender but it didn’t work as well.
- Add the butter and mix again until smooth.
- Pour into jars and store in the fridge (or freezer).
- Serve on toast for breakfast.
- Get more recipes on my blog http://alalemon.com
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer