If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love risotto and breakfast risotto is wonderful, You can easily make this the night before (thats what I do) and either serve cold or heat it. No added sugar, this risotto is sweetened with dates. A warm, delicious and healthful way to start your day. —sdebrango
- 2 1/2-3 cups milk or nut milk like almond
- 1/2 cup brown arborio rice or short grain brown rice
- 3-4 Medjool dates chopped (this is all the sweetener you need, start with 3 dates and use the 4th if you like it sweeter)
- 2 tablespoons butter divided (use 1 tbs to saute the dates and the other to add to the risotto when you finish cooking it)
- pinch of salt
- optional toasted walnuts sweetened with maple syrup to garnish
- Add milk to medium saucepan and bring to simmer on med/low heat or heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes to get it hot. Place butter in saute pan, add chopped dates and cook until softened, add rice and saute until rice is coated with the butter approximately 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk a cup at a time to the rice, stirring until milk is absorbed and adding more until all of it is used. Add the remaining tbs of butter. Rice will be toothsome, total cooking time is about 30-40 minutes NOTE: I didn't add any additional sweeteners, the dates did the job for me, add a little sweetener of your choice if you like. I always have extra liquid ready when making risotto, the whole grain brown rice takes longer to cook and may need more liquid, I needed the full 2 1/2 cups of milk.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates