Author Notes: Mmmmm. My mouth waters just thinking about these tiny tasty treats . . . and about the cocktails I serve with them. They are the perfect finger food -- full of flavor and providing that salty/sweet one-two punch that I just find irresistible —keg72
Medjool dates, pitted carefully to keep the date intact
slices of bacon, cut in half horizontally
ounces Gorgonzola (the amount needed depends on the size of your dates)
sea salt, for finishing
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Fry the bacon in a non-stick skillet for about four minutes over medium heat, turning halfway through. (Your goal here is not to cook the bacon through but rather to help it along in the process.) Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Using any sort of little spoon or utensil -- or your fingers, whatever you find easiest -- stuff as much Gorgonzola as will fit into each pitted date.
- Wrap each stuffed date with a (half) piece of bacon.
- Place the wrapped dates seam-side down on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper if you're like me and want the easy clean up).
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until the bacon is cooked through. Do check on the devils while they're baking, as you want to grab them out of the oven as soon as the bacon is done -- the longer they're in there, the more you risk the Gorgonzola oozing out.
- Remove to a platter, sprinkle with some salt, if desired, and do your best to wait a couple of minutes before popping one into your mouth -- lest you get scalded by the melted cheese!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates