If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Being Indian Vegetarians, sauteèd vegetables are a staple at our household. I love green vegetables and satueéd spinach with my meals.
I wanted to jump on the kale bandwagon and came up with this simple recipe with my favorite flavoring agents, cumin and chilli peppers. I love experimenting with different chilli options ( dried red chillis, chilli powder, green chilli, serrano, jalapeno, fresno, habanero ) Since my husband loves habanero peppers, there was no doubt about which one to pick. The flavor compliments the greens beautifully.
This recipe is easy to whip up for weeknight dinners or make a big batch on Sunday to eat during the week with different meals.
My favorite serving option is with rice (with a dollop of ghee on top) and daal ( lentils). It is also great on its own with some yogurt.
- 2 pounds chopped kale (fresh or frozen, thaw if frozen)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 Habanero peppers finely chopped ( Seeds removed if you prefer less heat)
- salt to taste ( roughly 1-2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Take a large pan or wok and put in on the stove on medium high heat. Add the oil and the cumin.
- Once the cumin seeds splutter, add the habanero and stir to coat it with oil. It will also splutter a bit. Let it cook in the oil for about a minute
- Then add the kale and toss or stir well to coat. Add another tablespoon of oil if needed. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Cover and cook for about 15 mins. Stirring every 2-3 minutes and ensure it doesnt burn or stick to the bottom.
- When the kale is almost cooked , add the salt. Add salt towards the end in 3-4 additions of half teaspoon stirring well to combine. Taste and adjust the salt.
- Serve with rice or roti and daal and some yogurt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer