If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I don't only eat Brussels sprouts for breakfast in my house! I eat pancakes too!
As I round the 4 month mark to our wedding (omg!) I'm in full-on healthy mode. I'm cutting out a lot of processed carbs and dairy products. Dairy products are out because I've recently self diagnosed myself as lactose intolerant. But this gluten, dairy and refined sugar free recipe is so satisfying, and gives me another way to use rotten bananas!
—Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes 2 - 3 servings (double recipe for 4-5 servings)
for the pancakes
- 1 1/2 mashed overripe bananas
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 - 1/4 cups water or vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (for cooking)
for the toppings:
- 1 cup mixed berries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 4 slices bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bacon on a foil lined baking sheet and pop into the oven for about 15 minutes, until crisp. Remove from oven and place on a paper towel. Set aside until pancakes are ready.
- As bacon cooks make the berries and pancake batter. For the berries, place berries, honey, lemon juice and champagne vinegar in a small sauce pan over low heat. Let slowly cook down until everything else is ready. It will get runny and soft, like a sauce.
- Now for the pancakes. Make the batter. In 1 medium bowl whisk together eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla and water or almond milk. In a separate medium bowl combine coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix only to combine. Don't over mix.
- Heat a griddle or pan over medium to medium low heat and add coconut oil. Add pancake batter using a 1/4 cup. Cook for 3 minutes on one side, flip and cook for another 3 on the other. Watch to make sure they don't burn! Work in batches if necessary.
- Serve pancakes with berry sauce and crumbled bacon. Enjoy this gluten free, refined sugar free breakfast or brunch one of these weekends.