If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My daughter and son-in-law are obsessed with Southwestern Cool Ranch chips, which cost a king's ransom. I set out to find a recipe to make them -- minus the aforementioned king's ransom. I found some southwestern and some cool ranch variations, but none were both, none were what they wanted. Boldly going where no mother/mother-in-law had gone before, I made something up. After a number of tries, I seem to have gotten it right. I got the basic idea from the ingredients list on the back of a bag of their favorite chips, experimenting with ingredients and proportions till they suited. Although any kind of kale would probably be ok here, I've found curly leafed works best. (Although these are chips, my family also uses them instead of croutons for salad.)
Makes 1 medium-large bag
- 1 bunch curly leafed kale, rib/stem removed, leaves torn into pieces
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar or agave
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup minced fresh or 2 Tbs.dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder or ground ancho chili powder
- 1 cup raw cashews
- Soak cashews in hot water to cover for two hours. Drain. Put into food processor with everything except kale. Process till smooth (you may need to add a few Tbs. water). Add to kale in large bowl, mixing with your fingers to coat the leaves.
- Place on dehydrator trays ( I use a Nesco dehydrator and use perforated tray liners as well). Dehydrate at 115 for 8-12 hours (it's impossible to give a precise time -- you need to check as you go. It could take more or less time. You can also use a higher temperature if you choose and adjust time accordingly.) Do not store till completely dry and chip-like and cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
More Great Recipes: