If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my 'go to' recipe when I run out of produce. I accidentally created this recipe in my pursuit for eating healthy and avoiding restaurant food even on busy days. I have used red lentils as they have the same cooking time as oats and therefore can be thrown into the same pot along with oats. However, this dish can be made with any lentils that you may have. Just cook them separately if you are unsure about the cooking time. —Minal
- 1/2 cup Steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup Red lentils
- 1 teaspoon Minced garlic
- 3 pinches Turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon Clarified butter (preferably)/butter/oil of your choice
- to taste Salt & Pepper
- In a saucepan, combine lentils, oats, turmeric, salt and water. Cover with lid. Simmer over low heat for about 20 mins or until the lentils and oats are done.
- Remove the lid and simmer for a little longer if required. I prefer a creamy consistency.
- In a butter melter or any small sized pan heat clarified butter over medium heat and saute the garlic. Pour this into the saucepan containing cooked lentils and oats and mix.
- Adjust seasoning as required. Drizzle some more clarified butter if you like and enjoy!
- P.S. It firms up in the fridge, but a splash of water and a minute or two in the microwave will soften it up again.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer