If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by Ina Garten's Chunky Banana Bran Muffins, these Hearty beauties are loaded with bananas, flaked coconut, golden raisins and crunchy pecans! —garlic and zest
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup All Bran cereal (original - not flakes or buds)
- 1/2 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 overripe banana, mashed with a fork
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- wheat germ, optional
- rolled oats, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin liners into a muffin tin and spray the liners with a little nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- If you're out of buttermilk do this quick sub-in: In a small bowl mix milk and lemon juice and let sit for 10 minutes. Easy.
- Meanwhile, place pecans on a baking sheet and toast them for 10 minutes, until crisp and fragrant. Remove from oven and roughly chop them. Set aside.
- Add the All Bran to the milk and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and brown sugar. With an electric mixer, mix until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix until combined, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula, occasionally. Add the molasses, and vanilla and continue to beat. (Mixture will look curdled.) Add the bran mixture and combine. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture a little at a time until just combined. Don't overmix.
- Stir in the banana and applesauce to combine. Add the raisins, pecans and coconut and fold into the bran mixture.
- Spoon into muffin liners about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with a little wheat germ and oatmeal if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.