If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's counterintuitive, but on a hot summer day, one of the best ways to beat the heat is to eat and drink spicy things. This recipe takes a classic summertime drink—the Paloma—and turns it on its head. Quintuple the recipe for a crowd. —Hi, I'm Brian.
Food52 Review: WHO: Someday I'll Live Simply is a master mixologist-in-the-making living in Brooklyn, New York.
WHAT: A happy marriage between mezcal and citrus.
HOW: Give simple syrup a kick with some jalapeño and grapefruit zest. Shake it up with grapefruit juice and liqueur, then double strain it over ice. Hear the ice cracking? That's the sounds of cocktail success.
WHY WE LOVE IT: This is a cocktail of oxymorons—it's bitter yet sweet, smoky yet refreshing, and spicy-hot yet cool. Somehow, the combination works to create a perfectly balanced drink that we'll be sipping all summer long. —The Editors
Makes 1 cocktail and 1 cup of jalapeño-infused simple syrup
For the jalapeño-infused simple syrup:
- 2 jalapeños, halved
- Zest of 1 grapefruit
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
For the Smoky and Spicy Paloma:
- 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila
- 1/2 ounce mezcal
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce jalapeño-infused simple syrup (see ingredient list above)
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit liqueur or Triple Sec
- Ice, to serve
- Begin by making the jalapeño-infused simple syrup: In a small saucepan, combine the jalapeño, grapefruit zest, sugar, and water. Bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Strain into a clean glass jar. Syrup will keep for up to 2 weeks refrigerated in an airtight container.
- To make the cocktail, combine all ingredients in a shaker and shake with ice. Double strain into a glass with ice.
- Your Best Recipe for Daytime Drinks Contest Finalist!
More Great Recipes: Cocktails