Author Notes: Genoise sponge cake is often served sandwiching pastry cream or whipped cream with fruit or jam. It is also delicious filled with lemon curd or another flavour curd (try passion fruit for something exotic). —woo wei-duan
recipe genoise sponge cake (additional recipe by Woo Wei-Duan)
milliliters whipping cream
grams icing sugar plus more for serving
vanilla bean, beans removed
grams strawberries, rinsed, dried, hulled and sliced
- Place the cream and the sugar into a bowl.
- Beat with a mixer until the cream starts to form soft peaks. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.Taste to see if more sugar is required.
- Using a long serrated knife, slice the sponge cake in half lengthwise. Lift the top half off using a cake lifter or cover a piece of cardboard with foil and set aside.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the whipped cream over the bottom layer of the cake.
- Add the strawberries to the top of the cream.
- Place the top half of the cake on top and use a fine sieve to sprinkle icing sugar over the top. Serve.