- Serves 12
Categories: Quick and Easy, Summer This is a perfect summertime variation on the classic tiramisu and can be made with any berry or a mixture of different berries. —woo wei-duan
What You'll Need
(1/2 cup) strawberry jam
savoiardi/lady’s finger cookies
eggs, carefully separate the white from the yolk and keep in separate containers covered with cling film until room temperature
(1/2 cup) caster sugar
(21 ounces) mascarpone cheese, room temperature (you can substitute cream cheese but you will need to add 45 gms more sugar)
(1 pound 2 ounces) strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and slice half of them into ½ cm slices
(2 teaspoons) cocoa powder for dusting
- Place the strawberry jam in a small saucepan with 500 mls of hot water and boil until reduced to 450 ml of liquid, stirring to ensure it is well combined. Let cool until tepid.
- In a clean bowl (if unsure there is any trace of fat, then wipe with a sliced of lemon and then rub dry with a cloth), using a food processor, electric mixer, or by hand with a whisk, whip the 6 egg whites until when you put a spoon in and pull it out quickly, the egg white forms a peak which then doesn’t sink back down into the mixture.
- In a clean bowl using a food processor, electric mixer, or by hand with a whisk, whip the 6 egg yolks with 100 grams caster sugar until light coloured and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes in a mixer. Add the mascarpone to this.
- Cut open lengthwise the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds with a knife and put into the egg mascarpone mixture.
- When well incorporated, remove the whisk and get a spatula and take a spoonful of the egg white and add it to the mascarpone mixture.
- Use the spatula to incorporate the spoonful of egg white. You add a little first so help aerate the mixture so that you won’t have to mix as hard when you add the rest of the egg whites which will deflate the cream and make it less fluffy.
- Add the rest of the egg whites, using a folding technique to incorporate them. Do not stir.
- Dip half of the cookies one at a time, into the strawberry jam and use them to line the bottom of your serving bowl (a glass container is best).
- Smooth half of the cream mixture over the soaked cookies.
- Evenly sprinkle half of the cocoa powder over the strawberries.
- Dip the remaining 15 cookies into the strawberry jam mixture.
- Spread the rest of the cream over the top evenly.
- Cover the top with the berries.
- Sprinkle the remaining cocoa powder over the top.
- Refrigerate 4 to 24 hours and serve. Because this has raw egg in it, you must keep it in the refrigerator at all times and only remove just before eating. Do not serve this to young children.