If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My favorite sandwich place in Atlanta, Victory Sandwich Bar, serves a tofu "chorizo" tacos, and it is so, so delicious. And after sinking my teeth into the tasty taco, I could not stop thinking about it. So, as soon as I got home I set about making a copy-cat version and here it is. This recipe is adapted from The VB6 Cookbook. To see more photos of this recipe, check out my blog http://www.theuprootedbeet.com/chocolateseasalt/2014/12/24/tofu-chorizo-tacos. —Megan Prendergast
Makes 8 tacos
- 8 6 inch tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds firm tofu, pressed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes, from can
- 3 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Stack the tortillas on a large square of foil and wrap them loosely.
- Put the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 4 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan with your hands. Cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the skillet occasionally. Adjust the heat as necessary. Cook the tofu until it browns and crisps as much or as little as you like it (anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes; I cooked mine for about 20 minutes).
- When the tofu is almost ready, put the tortillas in the oven.
- Add the bell pepper to the pan. Add chili powder; stir, and cook, continuing to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add lime juice and crushed tomatoes and stir. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Scoop tofu into tortillas and serve with green onions and feta.