If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired in part by tomato ginger soup and in part by my mothers chickpea curry —bronxbaker
Makes about 12 cups
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger minced
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic minced ( although that makes it quite garliky! so very up to you)
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas
- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup Vegetable stock
- 2 cups Water
- 1 10 oz box frozen spinach thawed
- 1 1/2 cups Frozen sweet peas thawed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large pot. When the oil is hot add cumin seeds and cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant over medium high heat.
- Add onion to the pot and cook about 8 to 10 minutes, until the edges are brown then the ginger, garlic and jalapeno and cook about one or two minutes.
- Add the remaining spices to the pot and cook another minute or two
- Put the crushed tomatoes into the pot and cook for a few minutes then add the chickpeas, broth and water and cook 10 or 15 minutes to let the flavors mingle
- Finally fold in the peas and spinach cooking for only a minute or two
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You're Most Proud Of