If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Finally. A Mac n' Cheese that is vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free! This recipe uses a devious blend of roasted butternut squash, onion, garlic, cashews and nutritional yeast. Comfort food at it's healthiest and kid-approved! —That Clean Life
- 1 Butternut Squash (peeled, seeded and sliced into 1 inch cubes)
- 1/2 Sweet Onion (diced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Raw Almonds
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 cup Raw Cashews
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 500 grams Brown Rice Macaroni
- Preheat oven to 420.
- Place butternut squash, sweet onion and garlic cloves in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, season with a bit of sea salt and pepper and mix well. Transfer onto a large foil-lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Now let’s make the "breadcrumbs". In a food processor, combine the almonds, garlic powder and onion powder. Pulse until almonds are coarsely chopped. Set aside.
- In a blender, add cashews, nutritional yeast and sea salt. Add 1 cup water and blend until a creamy consistency forms. Now add in the roasted butternut squash and onion mix and blend until smooth.
- Reduce oven to 350.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook brown rice macaroni as per the directions on the package. When finished cooking, strain and run under cold water immediately to prevent from overcooking.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked macaroni and ‘cheese’ sauce. Toss until well coated then transfer into a casserole dish. Top with almond bread crumbs and bake in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool for 10 minutes. Spoon into bowls. Devour.