If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Perfect for the warmer months, this recipe for Chicken Lettuce Cups with Jicama is a flavorful & healthy way to use the season's best produce. Tender chicken & mushrooms are flavored with soy sauce & rice wine vinegar, then sauteed with garlic, scallions, and jalapenos.The unexpected crisp bite of jicama makes a great textural counterpoint to the softer chicken & mushrooms, and is also a fantastic healthy alternative to the hard to find (at least in my area) traditional fresh water chestnuts. —StraighttotheHipsBaby
Makes 8-12 lettuce cups
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 2 cups Jicama, peeled & diced
- 1/2 cup Scallion, chopped
- 8 ounces Mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers
- 4 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 bunch Bibb Lettuce
- 1 pinch Salt & Pepper
- Begin by prepping all of your vegetables and measuring out your liquids. You are going to be cooking at high temperatures, and working very quickly, so it's best to have everything ready at hand!
- Place a large skillet over high heat and add the 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan. Heat until pan is sizzling hot.
- Once at temperature, add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly shrunken and browned, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the ground chicken, and using a spatula, break the meat apart. Add a pinch of salt to start seasoning the meat.
- Cook 1 min, then add the soy sauce and a couple of grinds of fresh black pepper. Continue to mix every so often, to avoid burning. Cook thoroughly - The chicken will turn from pink to white, when cooked.
- Add the rice wine vinegar, jalapeño peppers (1 pepper for mild, 2 peppers for spicy), scallions, garlic and sugar to the chicken. Stir gently. Allow the liquid to cook and reduce by half.
- Once reduced, add the diced jicama and cook until slightly softened.
- While the jicama cooks, quickly rinse and dry your Bibb lettuce leaves. Arrange on a platter.
- Once the chicken mixture is finished, adjust the salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve alongside the lettuce leaves and garnish with scallions & jalapeño slices.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff