If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Half of a large head of cabbage sitting in the vegetable crisper, a little bacon fat, salt, pepper and white wine vinegar added makes a quick weeknight side dish. Add a little crushed red pepper if you're feeling spunky! —inpatskitchen
Makes 2 to 4 servings.
- 1/2 head of a large cabbage (or one small head)
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat (or four slices bacon cooked until crisp)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut the cabbage into thin shreds and set aside. Melt the bacon fat in a large sauté pan and add the shredded cabbage.Stir in the crushed red pepper flakes if using. Saute over medium heat, stirring to coat the cabbage with the fat. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat until the cabbage begins to wilt but still retains a little crispness. If you started by cooking bacon slices to get your fat, remove the bacon to paper toweling and leave the fat in the pan and add the cabbage.
- Uncover the pan, stir in the vinegar and season to taste with the salt and pepper. If you cooked some bacon, crumble it and sprinkle over the cabbage when you serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff